Quick Facts

Design Day Project Highlights 2023 

Throughout the year, student teams design, build and test tools and technologies for their senior capstone projects in areas ranging from aerospace to electronics to energy to medicine. The breakdown by sector for the 99 projects for Design Day include:

24

biomedical projects

27

energy/ environment/
mining

7

agricultural/ biosystems

11

space related

4

optics related

Design Day 2024

Design Day 2024 will be the culmination of a year-long effort by University of Arizona faculty, staff and 500-plus senior engineering students. Close to 100 experienced industry professionals, including many UA alumni, will help judge the 91 projects that compete for 36 sponsor awards and $49,000 in cash prizes.

75 percent of the teams were interdisciplinary, featuring students from several different undergraduate majors. The remaining 25 percent of the projects were specific to individual majors at the College of Engineering, such as aerospace engineering and chemical engineering. Out of the 97 projects, 65 percent were sponsored by corporate partners and 35 percent were supported by departments or units at the University of Arizona.

Number of Design Day Projects Over the Years

Interdisciplinary Capstone has grown significantly since its inception more than a decade ago, and Design Day gets bigger each year. In 2011, the event featured 60 student projects; in 2024, there are 91. In our peak year, 2020, there were 115. Projects sponsored by faculty researchers and university units have seen notable increases in recent years.

Get started and sponsor a project now!

UA engineering students are ready to take your project from concept to reality.